Skip to main content

Student Due Process

Disciplinary Action by School Official

Students who believe they have been grieved by a disciplinary action taken by a school official have the right to due process as outlined in Board Policy 6030. A request for due process should be filed with the Vice President Student Services.

A student charged with misconduct shall be provided with written notice to meet with a member of the college administration for a preliminary hearing. The student has a right to appeal to an appeals committee and thereafter to the President and then the Board of Trustees.

Student Right to Challenge Contents of Record

Board Policy 6025 allows a student to file a written request with the President to remove information recorded and alleged to be: (1) inaccurate, (2) an unsubstantiated personal conclusion or inference, (3) a conclusion or inference outside of the observer’s area of competence, or (4) not based on the personal observation of a named person. The student may appeal the President’s decision to the Board of Trustees.

Student Request for Change of Grade

According to Administrative Procedure 5031.9-91, in any course of instruction in a California Community College District for which grades are awarded, the instructor of the course shall determine the grade to be awarded each student. The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency.

A student may appeal the grade informally with the instructor. If a satisfactory resolution does not occur, the student may appeal the grade to the Dean, then the Vice President Academic Affairs or directly to the President, and finally to the Board of Trustees.

Complaint Regarding Faculty

According to the faculty collective bargaining agreement, students are encouraged to consult informally with the instructor for purposes of resolving complaints other than those involving complaints about discrimination or sexual harassment. (Please see the section on Discrimination/Sexual Harassment for more information about the procedures to be followed for complaints regarding discrimination or sexual harassment). If the difficulties are not resolved or the student does not wish to meet with the instructor, the student must
meet with the dean of the division in which the instructor serves.

If there is a reasonable substance to the complaint, the supervisor will request that the complaint be put in writing, including the nature of the complaint and a summary of the substantiating evidence. An informal meeting between the faculty member and the complainant will be held to discuss the complaint and attempt to resolve the problem. If the complainant is not willing to meet with the faculty member, the complaint will be dropped. If the problem is not resolved to the satisfaction of all parties after the faculty member, complainant, and supervisor have met and conferred, a copy of the complaint may be placed in the personnel file of the faculty member.

If the immediate supervisor decides that further action is necessary, the complainant and faculty member will be notified of the recommended action. Within three (3) working days following receipt of the immediate supervisor’s decision, either party, if dissatisfied with the proposed solution of the complaint, may appeal to the Vice President having jurisdiction.

The Vice President may conduct whatever investigation and consultation deemed necessary for an acceptable resolution to the complaint. A written decision shall be submitted by the District Vice President within five working days following receipt of the appeal.

Either party, if dissatisfied, may appeal the Vice President’s decision to the college President.

Last updated: December 19, 2017