Skip to main content

Grading Policy

(Title 5, Section 55758)

Each course provides for measurement of student performance in terms of the stated course objectives and culminates in a formal, permanently recorded grade. The grade is based on demonstrated proficiency in subject matter and the ability to demonstrate that proficiency, at least in part, by means of essays, or, in courses where the curriculum committee deems them to be appropriate, by problem-solving
exercises or skills demonstrations by students. Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations is available at and in the AVC Library.

(Title 5, Section 55758)

Final grades are issued at the end of each semester and are available on the Web. Their significance is as follows: “A,” Excellent; “B,” Good; “C,” Satisfactory; “D,” Passing, less than satisfactory; “F,” Failing; “I,” Incomplete; “W,” Withdrawal; “CR,” Credit; “NC,” No Credit; and “RD,” Report Delayed.

Grade Points

A system of grade points is used to determine a student’s standing for graduation or transfer. Grade points are assigned to the respective grades as follows: for each unit of credit, the scholarship grade of “A” is assigned 4 points; “B,” 3 points; “C,” 2 points; “D,” 1 point; “F,” “W” and “I,” no points. A student’s work is considered satisfactory when he/she maintains an average of “C” or 2.0 grade point average
(GPA) or higher. According to Title 5, Section 55200(d), a satisfactory grade is a grade of “A,” “B,” “C” or “CR”.

Withdrawal Grades

Students who withdraw from class prior to Friday of the fourth week of the semester will not have any notation made on their transcripts. After Friday of the fourth week of the semester a record of all classes will be entered on the permanent record card for all students currently enrolled. A student may withdraw from full-term length classes up to Friday of the 13th week of the semester. The academic record of a student who remains in class beyond the 13th week must reflect a grade of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” “F” or “I” (incomplete).

Incomplete Grades

Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result in an “I” symbol being entered in a student’s record. The condition for removal of the “I” and the grade to be assigned in lieu of its removal will be stated by the instructor in a written record to be filed in the Admissions and Records Office where the original of the record will be forwarded to the student. This record will remain on file until the “I” is made up or the time limit has passed. A final grade will be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated or when the time limit for completing the work has passed. The “I” may be made up no later than one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned. A student may petition for an extension of time due to unusual circumstances before the time limit has passed. The “I” symbol will not be used in calculating units to determine grade point average.

Credit/No Credit Option

Students attending AVC have the option, up to the end of the fifth week of classes, of taking classes for a grade of Credit/No Credit in lieu of a grade of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D” or “F.” Students exercising the Credit/No Credit option must fulfill all course requirements. Classes in which this option is available are indicated with an asterisk (*) before the title of the course in the class schedule and catalog. The following policies govern Credit/ No Credit courses at AVC:

  • A maximum of 12 Credit/No Credit units may be applied toward fulfillment of requirements for the A.A. or A.S. degree.
  • A maximum of 6 Credit/No Credit units may be applied toward requirements for a certificate.
  • A maximum of 6 units per semester may be taken for Credit/No Credit.
  • A grade of “A,” “B” or “C” earned for a class will be posted to the transcript as a grade of “Credit.” A grade of “D” or “F” will be posted as a grade of “No Credit.” The unit value of the class will be listed on the transcript, but grade points will not be posted to the record or counted in computing the GPA.

Students are cautioned that other colleges and universities may restrict the acceptance of courses taken on a Credit/No Credit basis, especially for satisfaction of general education and major requirements. Students planning to transfer should check college catalogs for applicable policies.

The Credit/No Credit option is elected by the student per the deadline specified in the schedule of classes and cannot be reversed.

Last updated: July 9, 2015