Reading Center: Services
"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"
- Trained peer tutors and Study Group Leaders are available for students enrolled in Read 095 and 099
- Trained peer tutors can help students in any AVC course learn textbook reading and study strategies.
Tutoring is available for up to two hours a week depending on availability. Tutoring sign-up sheets are available in the Reading Center. All tutees will be required to complete a tutoring report at each session, which enables us to collect data to ensure that we are meeting students' learning needs.
Learning Specialist Appointments
- A learning specialist can identify your learning needs and create an individualized learning plan.
- Workshops on reading related topics are free. There is no need to pre-register. The workshop schedule can be found here.
Computer Assisted Instruction
There are several software systems that can help you improve your reading skills. Please see Michele Lathrop, Tutorial Specialist, to begin using one or more of these software systems now.
- Reading Speed and Comprehension: Reading Strategies and Quantum
- Reading Skills: Passkey, Reading Horizons, and Learning Express
- GED: GED Interactive
- Phonics: HEC Phonics