Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I become a tutor?
The General Tutoring program is always on lookout for new tutors. If you have successfully completed a course that you would like to tutor, please fill out an application and return it to the Learning Center or 661.722.6300, extension 6458 for more information.
To be a tutor one must meet all of the requirements listed below:
- Must have successfully completed one or more terms at Antelope Valley College
- Be enrolled in at least 6 units for the duration of employment
- Ability to work in a professional manner with students, staff, and faculty
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of reliability
- Have completed SI course with specific instructor
- Have an A or B in the course to tutor
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Obtain three recommendations
Tutors must attend regularly scheduled meetings, complete 10 hours of paid training, and have a flexible schedule to work in the SI program.
Download the Learning Center Application and return it completely filled out to the General Tutoring Desk.
- How much does it cost?
Supplemental Instruction is absolutely free! SI sessions are scheduled and held in the Learning Center. There are usually three SI sessions per week. SI attendance is voluntary, so students may attend one, two, or even all three sessions, however, SI statistics show that the more SI sessions the student attends, the better the student is able to learn study skills and content material.
- How do I find out if my class offers Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions?
The SI offerings change each semester, depending on employees and instructors available to support SI.
- How do I sign up?
SI offerings are free and voluntary. No sign up is necessary. Simply identify the SI times and locations for your course and attend.