The Honors Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) offers the opportunity for priority admission to many major universities throughout the state, and nationally as well. Honors courses have a seminar-like atmosphere that stems from the small class size (maximum of 21), leading to lively discussions between students and professors.
It is the intention of the Antelope Valley College Honors Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) to provide a highly enriching pathway to transfer. AVC's Honors TAP aims to serve its diverse student population through a set of unique opportunities to work in one-on-one collaboration with faculty Honors Options Projects and the dynamic learning experiences provided through Honors courses, with smaller class sizes and maximized student interaction, rigorous writing, research, and development of presentation skills.
Honors to Honors transfer agreements are negotiated by the Honors Transfer Council of California. Visit their website to see a list of participating universities and view the specific transfer agreements for each university here https://www.honorstransfercouncil.org/
At AVC, Honors students are encouraged to work closely with faculty to pursue creative and/or independent projects. The program also stresses writing, research and critical thinking skills. The course offerings are designed to facilitate transfer to a four-year university. We offer the services of Honors Counselors to assist students in planning their courses.
Honors TAP Mission Statement:
The Antelope Valley College Honors Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) is dedicated to providing excellence through unique classroom experiences aimed at preparing a diverse student body for university-level course work, while providing transfer opportunities through Honors to Honors transfer agreements negotiated by the Honors Transfer Council of California.
Professor Vejea Jennings
Faculty contact & Honors courses and options
661-722-6300, ext. 6710
Asst. Professor Tamira Palmetto DeSpain
Student contact & student recruitment and management
661-722-6300, ext. 6724
Honors Scholar Requirements
Maintain a 3.0 GPA (without earning under a “C” in any honors course)
Enroll in at least one honors course/option per semester (fall/spring)
5 total Honors courses required for Honors Scholar designation
3 of the 5 Honors courses must be actual Honors Courses, offered in the regular schedule
Make appointments with an Honors counselor each semester (fall/spring)
Complete the requirements of any honors option contract within the contracted term
Honors Scholar Designation will be added to transcripts when students 1) graduate with a degree from AVC, 2) have completed the required 5 honors courses (3 actual courses), and 3) have a 3.0 or higher GPA at the time of graduation.
How to Join the Honors Program:
1) Complete the Honors Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) application found online here: AVC Honors Application and Benefits Flyer.pdf
2) Email the completed application to Tamira Palmetto-Despain at email@example.com. If you are currently a high school student, you must send a copy of your high school transcript with the application.
3) Once the application is received, you will be invited via email to a brief Honors TAP orientation meeting.
4) Once your orientation meeting is done, you will be admitted to the Honors program
Honors Program Frequently Asked Questions:
Are honors classes more difficult?
Students actually tell us they believe honors classes are better rather than harder- they are more fulfilling because of the close interaction among faculty and students.
Will my grade point average go down if I take honors classes?
The opportunities for writing, for discussion, for help and feedback can make it easier to do well. And as your writing, research, and thinking skills improve, you'll see the benefits in your other classes as well.
What other advantages are there to being a member of the Honors Program?
See the benefits page for more information.
The Honors program has rolling admissions, which means students can join anytime; however, completed Honors applications must be received by the following dates for priority registration for the following terms:
For New Honors Students:
* Summer Registration begins in May. For priority registration, students must submit their Honors applications by March.
* Fall Registration begins in June. For priority registration, students must submit their Honors applications by May.
* Spring Registration begins in late October. For priority registration, student must submit their Honors applications by September
Graduation and Transfer Application Deadlines:
Apply for graduation before your final semester. You can apply online here: Online Graduation Application
Cal State University (CSU) Applications
Apply at www.calstate.edu/apply
For Spring/Winter admission, apply August 1-30 of the previous year. Note: It is not guaranteed that your CSU will accept transfers during this time.
For traditional Fall admission, apply October 1 - November 30 of the previous year.
University of California (UC) Applications
Apply at www.universityofcalifornia.edu
For Spring/Winter admission, apply July 1-30 of the previous year. Note: It is not guaranteed that your UC will accept transfers during this time.
For traditional Fall admission, apply October 1- November 30 of the previous year.
Visit the AVC Transfer Center to sign up for informative workshops that include CSU/UC application help, Personal Statement/Insight Questions assistance, Transfer Pathways, and much more. Click here for the Transfer Center website.
For Spring and Summer 2021 Graduates - All Honors Scholars will be contacted individually and awarded their certificates of completion. Students will be contacted after spring 2021 grades post to students' transcripts. The Honors Scholar designation will also be noted on each student's transcript, along with any additional Honors designation (e.g. cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude).
The Honors Convocation is an event to formally recognize our Honors student who will both be graduating AVC and completing the Honors Program at AVC (5 Honors classes, 3 of which are actual Honors classes).
The Annual Honors Convocation is being postponed till Spring 2022. All Honors Scholars from Spring 2020, 2021, and 2022 will be invited to participate in the Honors Convocation in April 2022. More information TBA in Spring 2022.
- Spring 2021 President's List.pdf
- Spring 2021 Dean's List.pdf
- Fall 2020 President's List.pdf
- Fall 2020 Dean's List.pdf
- Spring 2020 President's List.pdf
- Spring 2020 Deans' List.pdf
- Fall 2019 Presidents List.pdf
- Fall 2019 Deans List.pdf
- Spring 2019 Presidents List.pdf
- Spring 2019 Deans List.pdf
- Fall 2018 Presidents List.pdf
- Fall 2018 Deans List.pdf
- Spring 2018 Presidents List.pdf
- Spring 2018 Deans List.pdf
- Fall 2017 Presidents List.pdf
- Fall 2017 Deans List.pdf
- Spring 2017 Presidents List.pdf
- Spring 2017 Deans List.pdf
- Fall 2016 Presidents List.pdf
- Fall 2016 Deans List.pdf
- Presidents List Fall 2015
- Deans' List Fall 2015.pdf
Visit the Awards page for more award listings.