What is The Learning Center?
The Learning Center is here to help students "study smarter, not harder." Enrolled students can receive tutorial assistance for most classes as well as assistance in analyzing their learning styles and improving their study skills. Peer tutors work with students individually and in small groups to both understand the course material and learn new study strategies.
Learning Center Personnel
- Ashley Hawkins | Learning Center Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richelle Hightower| Learning Center Specialist - email@example.com
- Chaz Lemley | Tutoring Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cherice Hall | Tutoring Specialist - email@example.com
- Jacklyn Thompson | Tutoring Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wendy Rider | Learning Center Faculty & Department Chair - email@example.com
- Dr. Sarah Harano | Learning Center Faculty - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jane Bowers | Learning Center Faculty - email@example.com
- Dezdemona Ginosian | Learning Center Faculty - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristen Jorris | Learning Center Faculty - email@example.com
- Dr. Norma Jones | Communication Studies Faculty - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hannah Valencia | Learning Center Faculty - email@example.com
The Antelope Valley College Learning Center values all students. We share the vision of the college that education can transform lives. Our mission is to provide a supportive, collaborative space where our diverse community of learners can discover and develop their potential for academic success. The Learning Center is committed to promoting kindness, connection, and a growth mindset. Faculty, staff, and peer tutors work together to offer personalized educational experiences and resources that help students build confidence, resilience, and greater independence as critical thinkers and lifelong learners.
Integrity— Tutors, staff, and faculty strive to be honest, keep our commitments, and do what we say we will. We trust each other and work together to achieve our goals. We extend that trust to students and expect them to act with integrity as well.
Equity —Tutors, staff, and faculty recognize the inherent value of each person. We appreciate each person’s unique qualities and affirm the right of every student to have equitable access to meaningful educational opportunities.
Service—Tutors, staff, and faculty commit to serving students first and creating a nurturing environment. Relationships are at the heart of what we do as we strive to support the AVC learning community.
Curiosity— Tutors, staff, and faculty approach all situations with an eagerness to listen and learn. We recognize that learning is a continual process and that everyone has something valuable to contribute.
Collaboration—Tutors, staff, and faculty work together toward the shared goal of helping students grow. We foster connection within the Learning Center and collaborate with all areas of campus to increase student success.
Growth Mindset— Tutors, staff, and faculty courageously seek growth while recognizing that effort, challenges, mistakes, and productive feedback are essential parts of the learning process. We nurture and value the same mindset in students.