Deaf and Hard Of Hearing Services
Accommodations such as Sign Language Interpreters, notetakers, real-time captioning services, Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs), and more are available for qualified students who are Deaf or hard of hearing. Students will need to complete their OSD Intake process and meet with an OSD counselor to determine which accommodations would best serve them.
It is important that students meet with OSD staff well before the beginning of each semester for assistance with course selection and registration and request interpreters for their classes as far in advance as possible. Student schedule information is necessary to arrange interpreting and/or real-time captioning services. Students are required to sign and comply with AVC's Student Contract for Interpreting Services every semester via their AIM Student Portal when requesting accommodations.
Because the demand for skilled service providers is very high, OSD requires a minimum of three (3) business days prior notice for any interpreting services request. For additional information regarding services available for students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, or to request interpreting services contact:
Harry Pleer, Coordinator - Deaf Services (Interpreter)
Phone: 661.722.6300 ext. 6204
OSD Main Reception
- For assistance with captioning your instructional video materials, please contact the IMC - firstname.lastname@example.org
- IMC Website
- Tips for Working with Interpreters and DHH Students
AVC Interpreter Resources
- Want to provide interpreting services at AVC? - Apply Now!
- Current AVC Interpreter Pay Rates and Levels
- Monthly Timesheet Due Dates - Scroll down to "Banner Time Sheet Calendars"
- National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (www.rid.org)