Student Services
Campus walkway with banners
CVC Image


California Virtual Campus (CVC) Exchange

With the CVC Exchange you can instantly enroll in an online course available at any eligible California Community College. This CVC Exchange allows to enroll in courses that may not be available at AVC so you can achieve your goals faster!


What is the CVC?

The California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative (CVC-OEI) is a collaborative effort among California Community Colleges to ensure that more students can complete their educational goals by increasing both access to and success in high-quality online courses.

 The CVC-OEI is a digital resource that provides easy access for students to enroll in fully online courses across all 115 brick-and-mortar California Community Colleges. It includes a comprehensive catalog of online programs and courses to help students achieve their educational goals.


What is the CVC Exchange?

The CVC (California Virtual College) Exchange is an innovative, student-centered tool that allows students currently enrolled in a California Community College to instantly enroll in online courses offered at eligible colleges without filling out a separate application.

  • A student must be enrolled in a Home College to participate.
  • To use the Exchange’s cross-enrollment functionality and be eligible for federal Financial Aid maximum award, the student must be enrolled in at least six (6) units at their designated Home College.
  • Courses at a Teaching College are available for cross-enrollment.

Do I Qualify for CVC Exchange?

  • Are you enrolled in at least one credit course at AVC or a participating college?
  • Do you have at least a 2.0 GPA?
  • Do you have no outstanding fees at AVC.
  • You don't have an out-of-state address on file at AVC.

Find your online courses

You can search for courses at using a variety of criteria such as Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and CSU GE requirements; substitution courses for specific, full AVC college courses; and courses that are part of specific programs or pathways.

How many classes can I take at my teaching college?

There is a two course limit for students cross-enrolling through the Exchange. There is not a specific unit limit, so a student can cross-enroll into two courses of any unit amount but would then be blocked from cross-enrolling into any other classes through the Exchange.

What payment options do students have? Can they enroll in a class without paying?

Students using the CVC Exchange are subject to the payment policies of the college that is offering the class, i.e. the Teaching College. Since a college may have a drop for non-payment policy and deadline date; it is in a student’s best interest to pay for classes at the time of enrollment in order to secure a seat in the class. Even if a student initially chooses the credit card option to pay for classes, eligible students are still allowed and encouraged to apply for both the CCPG and Federal Financial Aid at time of payment. If approved for either or both CCPG and Federal Aid, students who may have used the credit card option will be appropriately reimbursed.

  1. Pay with credit card: The option to pay with a credit card through the payment portal is the most immediate payment option available to Exchange students.
  2. California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG): Students who are eligible California residents, may apply for the California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG) which can waive enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year.
  3. Federal Financial Aid: If an Exchange student is qualified to receive Federal Financial Aid from their Home College, to help cover the cost of tuition and fees for classes being taken at the Teaching College; they may request Federal Financial Aid from their Home College.


Refunds are subject to the policies and procedures of the college offering the course (Teaching College). The Teaching College is also responsible for processing individual refunds. If you dropped a class through the Exchange platform, please select the refund policy page below for the Teaching College where you dropped the class for more information on how to obtain a refund for your dropped class.

DSPS Accommodations

A student's Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) status or accommodations determination will not automatically transfer to the Teaching College. Students using the Exchange will have to apply separately at both colleges to receive DSPS services and classroom accommodations.

Can I receive financial aid funding at both colleges?

All colleges participating in CVC Exchange have signed a Federal Financial Aid Consortium Agreement. Under the agreement, the Home College will be responsible for the distribution of Financial Aid awards for students using online cross-enrollment. If you are eligible for Federal Financial Aid at your Home College, you may be able to have both Teaching College and Home College units combined, and counted toward your maximum financial aid award. For further details, contact your Home College Financial Aid office.

Dropping CVC courses

To drop a class, go to your CVC Profile at: and sign in with your home college credentials.

Once you have signed in, you can drop the class by going to your profile Dashboard:

  1. Select the Drop Class button next to the class you wish to drop. (This will open a Drop Notification screen with the drop deadlines.)
  2. You must select the Drop Course button from the pop-up screen that appears.
  3. Refresh your Dashboard and the course should appear in the Dropped Classes field at the bottom of your screen.

Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4)

Federal Title IV financial aid funds are awarded under the assumption that a student will remain in attendance for the entire semester for which the funds were awarded. Students who withdraw from all courses prior to completing more than 60% of the semester will have their financial aid eligibility recalculated based on the percentage of the semester completed and will be required to pay any unearned financial aid they may have received in accordance with Return to Title IV guidelines as mandated by the U.S. Department of Education.

The calculation for the Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4), notification to the student, and any return of any funds will be the responsibility of the student’s designated Home College.


Students wanting to use the Exchange must consent to have their transcripts automatically shared from the Teaching College to the Home College at the end of the term. The Exchange informed consent statement at time of enrollment specifies that a student must consent to having their transcripts automatically shared with the Home College. This consent acts as the request for any classes taken through the Exchange.