The MESA Program was founded by the University of California and provides support for thousands of students who have not had the benefit of both generational academic and financial advantages and are from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in STEM fields at four-year schools. MESA is new to AVC (first student members Fall 2023) to serve students in calculus-based STEM majors and planning to transfer to a four-year institution. Through a wide range of services, MESA helps develop the necessary academic and leadership skills to successfully transfer and later graduate from a four-year university with a degree in mathematics, engineering, or the sciences.
Are you a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) Major? Are you planning to transfer to a 4 year university? Click below to Enroll in MESA now!
The AVC MESA Program Goal:
Support and ensure students successfully transfer to 4-year colleges in math-based/science majors.
AVC MESA Offers
Academic excellence workshops, tutors in science and math, professional development, academic/transfer counseling, internship and scholarship opportunities, dedicated study center, limited free prints monthly, free scantrons and greenbooks, workshops, community building and support, and local industry connections, trips to universities and priority standing for undergraduate research within Math, Science and Engineering.
MESA student eligibility (you must meet the following criteria):
- Declare a transfer major in a calculus-based math or science field
- Complete the Federal Financial Aid Application
- Be a US citizenship or permanent resident
- Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Enroll full-time (12+ units)
If you are unable to meet all of the requirements above, you can still participate as a MESA Society member.
First steps | Apply to attend AVC - Steps to apply
Resources to begin AVC successfully: Getting Ready Handout
Register for Classes: Registration Cycle
MESA Student Expectations:
- Remain enrolled in 12+ units
- Meet with an approved counselor or education advisor annually
- successfully enroll in consecutive terms with minimum 2.5 GPA
- Agree to notify the MESA program of any changes in your student status
- Meet with your mentor regularly
- Abide by the AVC Student Code of Conduct
- Lead/Co-lead a Science Olympiad Event within your major field of study
- Attend >4 Academic Excellence Workshops or other MESA (MESA approved) activities each term