Campus walkway with banners

Counseling: Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get priority registration?

By completing the matriculation steps by the deadline for the upcoming term.


How long will it take to complete my goal at AVC?

It is difficult to answer this question because so much depends on the time you have to devote to attending school. Determine how many classes you need to meet your goals and calculate how many classes you can take per semester. Remember, summer sessions offer many classes and can assist in speeding up your educational goal. Remember time management is very important.


What if the class I want to take is closed?

See Admissions and Records for more information on adding classes.

Do I have to repeat a class in which I received a "D" or "F" grade?

There is no general college regulation requiring the repetition of courses in which you received a substandard grade. However, certain programs of study require a "C" grade in all courses required for the program.

PLEASE NOTE: You may only take a class two (2) times with a signature from a counselor. That is, you may retake a class one time after receiving a substandard grade. You must register in person and obtain a counselor's signature to enroll in the class. A petition may be filed at the Admissions and Records Office for Extenuating Circumstances (for three (3) or more repeats). See the Counseling Center for further details.


What is a major?

A major is a program of study which leads to a degree. It is the primary area of study in which the greatest depth of knowledge will be developed. If transferring, classes taken in a major area fulfill what is called "preparation for the major." Completion of these courses prepare students for upper division classes.


Where can I find out what classes to take for my major?

Preparation for a major is an important step. Information as to which classes are required for a specific major can be obtained from the college catalog or fact sheets and from articulation agreements for transfer students.

You should also make an appointment with a counselor to make sure you are on the right track.


Do I declare a major before I transfer?

Not all colleges require you to declare a major prior to transfer; however, many do. For a specific CSU or UC campus, refer to information in the application for admission. For other colleges, check the college catalog or call the admissions office for that information.

You may also contact the Transfer Center for the college catalog and possibly make an appointment with a university representative.


What is a minor?

A minor is a secondary field of study, not as comprehensive as the major. Generally, minors are not offered at a community college.


How many units do I need to transfer?

Students are advised to complete 60 units that will transfer in order to be eligible for full junior status at the transfer institution.

It is possible to transfer to the CSU with 56 units; however, 70 is the maximum that can be transferred. Many private universities and out-of-state colleges will accept transfer students with fewer units. Please check the catalog for the specific college you are interested in for transfer requirements or you can contact the Transfer Center for more information.


What is the difference between lower division and upper division courses?

Lower division courses are offered for freshman and sophomore level credit. All courses offered at a community college are lower division courses.

Upper division courses are offered for junior and senior level credit. These courses are not offered by community colleges.