The Books H.E.L.P. Program
Remember this is book loan program and you must return your books at the end of the semester.
What is the Books H.E.L.P. (Help Enhance Learning Possibilities) Program?
Books H.E.L.P. is a program funded by the AVC Foundation, Student Equity Grant, and donors to help eligible Antelope Valley College students borrow course textbooks until the agreed return date, free of charge.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for the Books H.E.L.P. Program, students must be:
1. Currently be enrolled as an AVC Student.
2. Currently registered in the class for which the book is required.
3. Have a 50% or higher completion rate.
4. Be in good academic standing with a 2.00 GPA or higher.
5. Have a current Education Plan and on track for degree/certificate completion.
6. FAFSA/DREAM ACT/FINANCIAL AID VERIFICATION OF FUNDS FORM/AB540 application completed at the AVC Financial Aid office for the academic year that books are requested.
7. Submit a complete online Books H.E.L.P. application by the deadline.
8. No prior penalties within the Books H.E.L.P. program.
Students are served on a first come first served basis according to each individual's needs and Books H.E.L.P. ranking criteria. Students must apply each semester.
NOTE: Books H.E.L.P. Committee has the right to deny the application at any time.
If you have received Access Codes, Lab Manuals, or Workbooks that cannot be returned the value of the items will be considered as a part of your Financial Aid Packet
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY
Prior to beginning the application, you should have available to you:
*Student ID Number
*AVC Email Address
*Your Class Schedule (CRN, Course Name, & Instructor)
*Be Logged into your AVC Email (You will not be able to access the application if not logged into your AVC Email)
* NOTE: If the faculty member has not submitted their book request to the bookstore, the book will not show on the book listing. That is out of our control and the committee may not be able to provide those textbooks.
Students wishing to apply must submit a complete online book request application.
Summer and Fall 2019 Books H.E.L.P. Application will be open on May 6, 2019!
For Main Campus (Lancaster)
LANCASTER CAMPUS SUMMER 2019 CLICK HERE
LANCASTER CAMPUS FALL 2019 CLICK HERE
For Palmdale Center
PALMDALE CAMPUS SUMMER 2019 CLICK HERE
PALMDALE CAMPUS FALL 2019 CLICK HERE
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED. Please make sure your schedule is finalized before applying for Books H.E.L.P.
No changes to classes will be allowed outside of involuntary institutional cancellations.
Which Books Are Offered?
Books that are loaned to students are for Antelope Valley College classes only.
How Many Books May a Student Obtain?
There is currently no limit to the number of books a student may borrow per semester. There are a limited number of books available for each course and a limited amount of funding available each academic year. Students are served on a first come, first served basis according to each individual's needs and Books H.E.L.P. ranking criteria.
Decision On Selected Students and Notification
Students are approved for the Books H.E.L.P. Program based on a combination of factors that include, but are not limited to:
3. Date complete application was submitted
4. Past borrowing history
Students who are eligible to borrow books will be notified via AVC e-mail. Once notified, students must pick-up books immediately or the book(s) are subject to being disbursed to another student.
The textbook must be returned to the check-in office on or before the borrower’s agreement date. If a student is tardy in returning their textbook, they may be ineligible to participate in the program. Failure to return the book(s) will result in the HOLD remaining on the student’s account (restriction from registration, financial aid, etc.). If a borrowed book is lost, stolen or damaged, the borrowing student accepts full responsibility for the replacement costs of the book, which must be repaid to the Books H.E.L.P. Program prior to the hold being removed from the student account.
FINES AND GUIDELINES:
1. ALL textbooks MUST be returned by the scheduled appointment time or there will be a $25 fine per textbook.
2. Textbooks are to be returned in the designated drop-off location. Fines for late books should be paid at the same location.
3. If textbooks are not returned within one week of your scheduled appointment you will be charged the full cost of replacing each late book. A hold will be placed on your college record and you will not be able to register for any future terms nor be issued any additional textbooks until this is cleared.
1. If you withdraw or are dropped from a class you are responsible to notify the Books H.E.L.P. Committee and return the unused access code.
2. If you withdraw or are dropped from a class and have activated the access code you are responsible to notify the Books H.E.L.P. Committee and pay $50 per activated access code.
3. If you DO NOT notify the Books H.E.L.P. Committee that you withdrew or were dropped from a class you will be responsible to pay $75 for each access code used or unused. A hold will be placed on your college record and you will not be able to register for any future terms nor be issued any additional textbooks until this is cleared.
After the end of each semester a mandatory survey will be distributed to participating students, please complete the electronic survey in a timely manner.
For more information or questions about the Books H.E.L.P. Program please contact us at email@example.com.
Funded by a generous grant from the Student Equity Grant.