The Books H.E.L.P. Program
Attention Students borrowing books for Spring 2016 from the Books H.E.L.P Program!
Borrowed books MUST BE returned to the location listed below. Last day to return your books is Tuesday, June 7th. Make sure you return your books on time to avoid having a Hold put on your student account and become ineligible to borrow books from the program in the future.
Return Location: Room LS1-122 (Liberal Studies building)
- Wednesday, June 1: 9AM - 5:30PM
- Thursday, June 2: 9AM - 5:30PM
- Monday, June 6: 9AM - 5:30PM
- Tuesday, June 7: 9AM - 5:30PM
Mandatory Survey: Complete the Books H.E.L.P. Mandatory Survey no later than Thursday, June 16, 2016 (suvey link was emailed to students borrowing books).
Books H.E.L.P. Program will not be available for the Summer 2016 Term.
The Fall 2016 Books H.E.L.P. online application will be posted early August prior to the Fall semester.
What is the Books H.E.L.P. (Help Enhance Learning Possibilities) Program?
Books H.E.L.P. is a program funded by the AVC Foundation, STEM Grant, Student Equity Grant, and donors to help eligible Antelope Valley College students borrow course textbooks until the agreed return date, free of charge.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for the Books H.E.L.P. Program, students must be:
- Currently be enrolled as an AVC Student.
- Currently registered in the class for which the book is required.
- Have a 50% or higher completion rate.
- Be in good academic standing with a 2.00 GPA or higher.
- Have a current Education Plan and on track for degree/certificate completion.
- FAFSA application completed at the AVC Financial Aid office for the academic year books are requested.
- Submit a complete online Books H.E.L.P. application and supplemental documentation by the deadline.
- No prior penalties within the Books H.E.L.P. program.
Students are served on a first come first served basis according to each individual's needs and Books H.E.L.P. ranking criteria. Students must apply each semester.
NOTE: Books H.E.L.P. Committee has the right to deny the application at any time.
How to apply:
Students wishing to apply must submit ALL of the following to have a complete packet:
- Submit a COMPLETE online book request application.
- Submit your Student Detail Schedule
- Evidence of Financial Award Letter or Verification of Financial Aid Funds
INCOMPLETE PACKETS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Which Books Are Offered?
Books that are loaned to students are for Antelope Valley College classes only. Books loaned do not include study guides, workbooks, manuals, lecture notes, or suggested materials. It is strictly at the discretion of the college to provide books that require additional material (Once applications have been reviewed NO SUBSTITUTIONS are permitted).
How Many Books May a Student Obtain?
There is currently no limit to the number of books a student may borrow per semester. There are a limited number of books available for each course and a limited amount of funding available each academic year. Students are served on a first come, first served basis according to each individual's needs and Books H.E.L.P. ranking criteria.
Decision On Selected Students and Notification
Students are approved for the Books H.E.L.P. Program based on a combination of factors that include but are not limited to:
- Date complete application was submitted
- Past borrowing history
Students who are eligible to borrow books will be notified via AVC e-mail. Once notified, students must pick-up books immediately or the book(s) are subject to being disbursed to another student.
The textbook must be returned to the check-in office on or before the borrower’s agreement date. If a student is tardy in returning their textbook, they may be ineligible to participate in the program. Failure to return the book(s) will result in the HOLD remaining on the student’s account (restriction from registration, financial aid, etc.). If a borrowed book is lost, stolen or damaged, the borrowing student accepts full responsibility for the replacement costs of the book, which must be repaid to the Books H.E.L.P. Program prior to the hold being removed from the student account.
FEES AND GUIDELINES:
- ALL textbooks MUST be returned by the scheduled appointment time or there will be a $25 fine per textbook.
- Textbooks are to be returned in the designated drop-off location. Fines for late books should be paid at the same location.
- If textbooks are not returned within one week of your scheduled appointment you will be charged the full cost of replacing each late book. A hold will be placed on your college record and you will not be able to register for any future terms nor be issued any additional textbooks until this is cleared.
- If you withdraw or are dropped from a class you are responsible to notify the Books H.E.L.P. Committee and return the unused access code.
- If you withdraw or are dropped from a class and have activated the access code you are responsible to notify the Books H.E.L.P. Committee and pay $50 per activated access code.
- If you DO NOT notify the Books H.E.L.P. Committee that you withdrew or were dropped from a class you will be responsible to pay $75 for each access code used or unused. A hold will be placed on your college record and you will not be able to register for any future terms nor be issued any additional textbooks until this is cleared.
After the end of each semester a mandatory survey will be distributed to participating students, please complete the electronic survey in a timely manner.
For more information or questions about the Books H.E.L.P. Program please contact us at email@example.com.
Funded by a generous grant from the Antelope Valley College Foundation, STEM Grant, and Student Equity Grant, and other Donors.