The High Tech Center (HTC) is located in the Learning Center and provides OSD students the opportunity to learn how to use our adaptive computer hardware and software. Following the recommendations of OSD staff, students will be advised to meet with the High Tech Center Lab Technician, where students will be trained on the specific adaptive hardware and software
Some of the adaptive technology available to students in the High Tech Center are:
- Kurzweil 3000/Firefly - Visually highlights text as it reads using synthetic speech which is displayed on a PC monitor. Used for reading textbooks or class materials.
- Kurzweil 1000 - Uses synthetic speech to read textbooks and class materials after it has been converted into an electronic format.
- Zoom Text - Enlarges print as viewed on a PC monitor.
- CCTV - Magnifies Printed Material.
- JAWS for Windows - PC based screen reader used by blind and visually impaired persons.
- Dragon Dictate - PC based program whereby a student can operate a PC through voice commands, allowing a student to dictate a class assignment into Microsoft Word.
- Alpha Smart - A portable word processor.