- Computer Lab
- Academic Counseling
- Academic Enrichment
- Financial Aid Assistance
- Cultural Trips
- Program Library
The STAR program now has our computer lab opened. We now have six stations for our students to utilize. We will be utilizing the computer lab for some of our upcoming workshops, and we will be planning future workshops on computer topics. Stop by the STAR office to use the computers when you need them, and let us know what type of workshops you would like for us to offer. Please sign in at the lab so we can keep track of the use of the lab.
- Goal setting and career advisement
- Four year college visits and transfer assistance
- Progress monitoring and personal support through regular meetings with program staff
- Computer literacy and research skills instruction
- Summer bridge program
- Study skills, supplemental instruction
- Career Mentors
The Career mentoring program will match students with mentors who are working in their targeted career field.
- Faculty/Staff Mentors
Antelope Valley College faculty/staff mentors will provide encouragement and be a positive role model for STAR students.
- Peer Mentors
The Peer mentoring program is designed to provide a one-to-one relationship with a successful AVC student that will offer guidance, information and positive role-modeling to the STAR student.
- STAR students will also be referred to the Learning Center for additional tutoring and supplemental instruction.
- Scholarships & financial aid application assistance
- Opportunities to apply for a limited amount of supplemental grant aid
Cultural enrichment activities will be planned each semester. Tickets and transportation for the events will be provided by the STAR Student Support Services program.
- College Accounting: A Practical Approach (Sixth Edition). Jeffrey Slater.
- Biological Anthropology. Michael Alan Park.
- Biology: Concepts and Applications (Third Edition). Cecie Starr.
- Discovering Computers 2004: A Gateway to Information (Web Enhanced). Gary B. Shelly, Thomas J. Cashman, Misty E. Vermaat.
- Learning the UNIX Operating System (Fourth Edition). Jerry Peek, Grace Todino and John Strang.
- Microcomputer Resource Book for Special Education. Dolores Hagen.
- Microsoft Office 2000: Essential Concepts and Techniques. Gary B. Shelly, Thomas J. Cashman, Misty E. Vermaat.
- PERL in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference. Ellen Siever, Stephen Spainhour, Nathan Patwardhan.
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering. Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.
- Visual C++ 2: Developers Guide (Second Edition). Nabajyoti Barkakati.
- Economics Today: the Macro View. Roger LeRoy Miller.
- Microeconomics: Professional Copy Michael A. Leeds, Peter von Allmen, Richard C. Schiming.
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (Fifth Edition). Joseph Gibaldi.
- Reading Literature and Writing Argument. Missy James, Alan P. Merickel.
- The Act of Writing. Eric Gould, Robert DiYanni, William Smith.
- The Scott, Foresman Handbook for Writers (Fourth Edition). Maxine Hairston, John J. Ruszkiewicz.
- Geosystems: an Introduction to Physical Geography. Robert W. Christopherson
- California Civil Code (2003 Desktop Edition).
- Algebra: For College Students (Second Edition). Mark Dugopolski.
- Arithmetic for College Students (Fourth Edition). D Franklin Wright.
- Beginning Algebra (Annotated Instructor’s Edition). R. David Gustafson, Peter D. Frisk.
- Developing Skills in Algebra: A Lecture Worktext (Fifth Edition). J. Louis Nanney, John L. Cable.
- Elementary Algebra. Andrew Demetropoulos, Kenneth C. Wolff.
- Elementary Algebra. C. Lee Welch, Gilbert M. Peter.
- Exploring Statistics: a Modern Introduction to Data analysis and Inference. Larry J. Kitchens.
- Intermediate Algebra (Second Edition). Barbara Poole.
- Cliff Notes on: Aristotle’s Ethics. Robert Milch and Charles H. Patterson.
- Puzzles, Principles, and Philosophers (Third Edition). Richard C. Loofbourrow.
- The Informed Argument: a Multidisciplinary Reader and Guide. Robert K. Miller.
- Understanding Scientific Reasoning. Ronald N. Giere.
- Comparative Politics: Notes and Readings. Bernard E. Brown and Roy C. Macridis.
- Helping your Child Achieve in School: Strategies for Caring Parents. Dr. Barbara Johnson.
- Introduction to Psychology: Exploration and Application (Eighth Edition). Dennis Coon.
- It’s Nobody’s Fault: New Hope and Help for Difficult Children and Their Parents. Harold S. Koplewicz, M.D.
- Living in America: A Popular Culture Reader. Patricia Y. Murray, Scott F. Covell.
- Special Parents: Children with Special Needs. Barbara Furneaux.
- Study Guide for The World of Psychology (Fourth Edition). Dan Kelts, Guy Aylward.
- Study Guide to Accompany Introduction to Psychology: Exploration and Application (Eighth Edition). Dennis Coon.
- The World of Psychology (Fourth Edition). Samuel E. Wood, Ellen R. Green Wood.
- The Natural Speaker (Fourth Edition). Randy Fujishin.
- Behavior Modification for the Classroom Teacher. Saul Axelrod.
- Classroom Teaching Skills (Fifth Edition). James M. Cooper.
- Dealing with the Unexpected: A Situational Approach for Teachers. Stuart E. Schwartz.
- So You Wanna Teach, Huh?. Josh Gauss.
- Strategies for Teaching Students with Learning and Behavior Problems. Candace S. Bos, Sharon Vaughn.
- Teaching Strategies: A Guide to Better Instruction (Fourth Edition). Donald C. Orlich, Robert J. Harder, Richard C. Callahan, Donald P. Kauchak, Harry W. Gibson.