Types of Financial Aid

Financial Aid & Scholarships: Types of Financial Aid

Federal Programs

Federal Pell Grants

The Pell Grant program is the largest grant program in the country. It is the foundation for an award package. Pell Grants provide financial assistance to eligible part-time and full-time students and are calculated based on a student’s enrollment and Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Awards range from $657 to $6,195 (amounts may change each year).

Since the Pell Grant program is an entitlement program, funds are always available to qualifying students. If a student applies late but qualifies for a Pell Grant, he/she may be eligible for retroactive payment for the work completed during the enrollment period.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

This program provides jobs for students who have a need and must earn a portion of their educational expenses. The purpose of this program is to promote the part-time employment of college students. Jobs are available on campus as teacher aides, library assistants, cafeteria helpers, and clerks. A student may not begin work until he/she has been processed by the Human Resources Office.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans (DL)

Subsidized: A subsidized loan is a need-based loan. The federal government pays the interest on the loan when you are: 1) attending school at least half time [6 units]; 2) qualifying for an authorized deferment.

Unsubsidized: An unsubsidized loan is not need-based and a student who receives an unsubsidized loan is responsible for paying the interest. A student may choose to pay this interest while attending school or choose not to make the interest payments; the interest will be added or capitalized on the principal balance at repayment.

Annual Loan Limits: The chart below indicates the maximum annual loan limits for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, for dependent and independent students based on the academic level.

Dependent Students
Academic Level Subsidized Loan Limits Unsubsidized Loan Limits Total Direct Loan
Freshman <30units $3,500 $2,000 $5,500
Sophomore > 30 units $4,500 $2,000 $6,500
Independent Students
Academic Level Subsidized Loan Limits Unsubsidized Loan Limits Total Direct Loan
Freshman <30 units $3,500 $6,000 $9,500
Sophomore > 30 units $4,500 $6,000 $10,500

Repayment Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can help me manage my student loan debt?
    • The Financial Aid Office is dedicated to helping you manage your student loan debt. We are available to help you develop a successful repayment strategy. Contact us at 661-722-6300 ext. 6337
    • If at any time during your student loan repayment you can't make your monthly payment, immediately contact your loan holder to find out about available deferment or forbearance options. If you're not sure who your loan holder is, we can help you find the right contact information.
  • Can I see a summary of my student loans?
    • You can access your loan information by visiting the National Student Loan Data System's (NSLDS) website at NSLDS.ed.gov (external link). To view your loan information, you'll need your Social Security number, date of birth and your PIN from the FAFSA process. The site lists servicers you can contact with your questions and what type of loan(s) you have.
  • I can't make my student loan payments. What can I do?
    • Explain your situation and get help reviewing your options by contacting your loan holder or our Financial Aid Office at 661-722-6300 ext. 6337. You may be eligible for an alternative repayment schedule that will adjust your monthly payment amount, or a deferment or forbearance that temporarily delays your payments.

Delinquency Frequently Asked Questions

  • How did I become delinquent on my student loans?
    • If you continually fail to make payments on a student loan, your loan holder reports the delinquency to the guarantor. You'll get letters and phone calls from both the loan holder and guarantor asking you to contact them to help resolve your delinquency.
  • Why am I getting delinquency notices while I'm in school?
    • You may be getting notices if your loan holder or guarantor is unaware you're in school or you've had a change in enrollment status. You should contact your loan holder immediately to notify them of any changes in your enrollment status such as a school transfer, drop below half-time or change in your graduation date.
  • What's a deferment?
    • Deferment is an authorized period of time during which you may postpone monthly principal and/or interest payments. The federal government makes interest payments on subsidized Stafford loans during authorized deferment periods. You're responsible for interest that accrues on PLUS and unsubsidized Stafford loans during any deferment and has the option of making interest payments to avoid capitalization.
  • What's capitalization?
    • If you don't pay the interest that accrues on your loan while you're in school or during a deferment or forbearance, the unpaid interest is added to the principal balance of your loan. Once the unpaid interest is added, it increases the total amount of your loan and the monthly payment.
  • What's forbearance?
    • Forbearance is an authorized period of time during which a loan holder agrees to temporarily postpone payments or reduce your payment amount if you intend to repay the loan but are having temporary financial difficulties. You're still responsible for the accrued interest during forbearance.
  • What's the difference between delinquency and default?
    • Delinquency occurs when your loan payment is past due or late.

Default occurs when your loan is delinquent for 270 days or more. At that point, the guarantor purchases your loan and is responsible for collecting the debt on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education.

Default Frequently Asked Questions

  • What's a defaulted student loan?
    • Loans are considered defaulted when a borrower fails to repay a loan according to the terms agreed upon in the Master Promissory Note (MPN). This usually happens when payment is at least 270 days late. A default can also occur for failure to submit on-time requests for a deferment or cancellation. If a FFELP loan defaults, the guarantor (ECMC) purchases the loan from the loan holder and begins collection
  • What happens when my student loan goes into default?
    • Defaulting on a federal student loan can result in several consequences, which may include:
      • Ineligibility for financial aid or grants until the default is satisfactorily resolved.
      • Taking state and federal tax refunds or other federal payments, to be applied to the loan balance.
      • Wage garnishment.
      • Hold on academic transcripts.
      • Reporting the default to consumer reporting agencies.
      • Capitalization of accrued interest, increasing the loan balance.
      • Assessment of collection costs (approximately 19%) which are added to the loan balance.
  • Who can help me manage my defaulted student loans?
    • The Financial Aid Office is dedicated to helping borrowers repay their student loan debt and reestablish good credit. You can reach a representative by calling 661-722-6300 ext. 6337
  • When is my default reported to consumer reporting agencies?
    • Defaulted loans are reported 60 days from the date of default.
  • Can my federal and state tax refunds be taken?
    • Yes. The money will be applied to the balance of your defaulted loan.
  • How can I get my student loan out of default?
    • You have several options to get your loan out of default status. You can:
      • Make a lump-sum payment to pay the loan in full.
      • Make monthly payments until the loan is paid in full.
      • Make and fulfill a settlement offer.
      • Rehabilitate your loan.
      • Consolidate your loan
  • Why do you keep calling my relatives and friends?
    • After unsuccessful attempts to contact you about your loan, the school, loan holder or guarantor will contact the relatives and friends whose information you provided when you signed your Master Promissory Note (MPN). To update the contact information you provided, contact your loan holder or our Default Prevention department at 661-722-6300 ext. 6337
  • Can I get a forbearance or deferment if my loan is in default?
    • Defaulted student loans aren't eligible for forbearance or deferment.
  • What's consolidation?
    • Consolidation is a loan program that allows borrowers to combine all of their federal education loans into one loan, make a single monthly payment and extend the repayment period (up to 30 years depending on the loan amount). Consolidation loans can make loan repayment more manageable for borrowers with multiple lenders or high loan balances.
  • Can I consolidate a defaulted student loan?
    • Yes, you can consolidate after you've established monthly repayment and have met the required number of payments.
  • What's student loan rehabilitation?
    • Rehabilitation is a process by which a borrower can bring their student loan out of default by following specific repayment requirements.
  • What's the difference between rehabilitation and consolidation?
    • Rehabilitation brings your loan out of default and updates any consumer reporting agency listings made by ECMC and your loan is purchased by a lender.
    • Consolidation brings your loan out of default by making a new loan with different repayment terms. However, the defaulted loan listing is not completely removed from your credit history with a consolidation loan.
  • If I'm in default, can I get more financial aid?
    • Yes, but only after you've made six consecutive, satisfactory payments on your defaulted student loan. You must continue to make on-time; monthly payments to receive aid while the loan is in default and you must not have ineligible loans.


State Programs

California College Promise Grant

California College Promise Grant waives the mandatory college enrollment fee required by the State of California. The fee waiver can be processed quickly and students can register immediately for classes. To be eligible for the CCPG, a student must be a California resident or an AB540. 

Eligibility criteria for the CCPG Application include the following: students or their families must be receiving TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families)/CalWORKS, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), or General Assistance, or the student must meet the income limit based on family size. For example, a family of four must have had an adjusted gross income for last year of less than $36,900. Students should come to the Financial Aid Office in the month prior to registration to apply for this fee waiver.

Any combination of two primary consecutive terms (Fall and Spring) of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative course completion less than 50% may result in loss of fee waiver eligibility.

You'll be notified within 30 days of the end of each term if you are being placed on either Academic (GPA) and/or Progress (Course Completion) probation. Your notification will include the information that the second term of probation will result in loss of fee waiver eligibility. After the second consecutive term of probation, you may lose eligibility for the fee waiver at your next registration opportunity.

Students who have not completed the FAFSA or Dream Act application may qualify for a fee waiver by completing the application located at https://www.avc.edu/studentservices/finaid/bogw

Cal Grants

Cal Grant Entitlement Awarding Process

Cal Grant eligible students are advised to satisfy specific requirements on their WebGrants for Students (WGS) account to claim their award.

• Confirmation of School of Attendance:  Students have the capability to select the “Confirmation of School of Attendance” link in WGS to confirm the school they will attend during the academic year.
• High School Graduation Confirmation:  Beginning the first day of the month of the student’s graduation, students will have the capability to select the “Submit High School Graduation Confirmation” link in WGS to confirm they have graduated from high school.
Students who are required to fulfill these requirements will see a red stop sign. Once satisfied, the red stop sign and links will disappear.
A five minute Claiming your Cal Grant Award Video has been recorded to assist students with this process. This module is available under the Getting Started link from the Students and Parents tab on the www.csac.ca.gov website.

For more information on the Cal Grant Awarding Process, click here: Cal Grant Awarding Process Information 

Cal Grant A

This program helps low and middle-income students pay tuition and fees at California State University and University of California campuses, independent colleges, and some private occupational career schools in California. Cal Grant A recipients who choose to attend a community college may be eligible for a Community College Reserve Grant (CC Reserve). CC Reserve recipients may hold their awards in reserve for up to two years until they transfer to a four-year school.

Cal Grant B

This program is for high-potential students from disadvantaged or low-income families who otherwise would not be able to pursue post-secondary education. Awards are for students who have completed no more than one semester of full-time study, or no more than 16 units of part-time study. At a community college, the award is limited to a subsistence grant for non-tuition costs. The maximum subsistence grant is $1,672. At an eligible four-year California school, the award would also include tuition and fees the same as Cal Grant A.

Cal Grant C

This program helps vocationally oriented students acquire marketable job skills within a short time period. A Cal Grant C may not be used to pursue a four-year degree program, graduate study, course prerequisites, or general education.

The student applies for the Cal Grant Program by completing the FAFSA or Dream Act application prior to March 2nd, preceding the next academic year they will enroll.



There are a number of scholarships available each year. Donors in the Antelope Valley community who want to help AVC students succeed make these scholarships available through the AVC Foundation Office. Some scholarships are based on financial need while others are based on academic major, career goal or life circumstances. You have a good chance of receiving a scholarship if you apply. Just take a few minutes to fill out the scholarship application (available online).

Visit our scholarship page for more information.



If you are or were in foster care between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for childcare, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

Apply online at https://chafee.csac.ca.gov/StudentApplication
Check your status at www.webgrants4students.org



Last updated: June 16, 2020