Vocational Nursing - VN
Applications are no longer available for the fall 2023 Vocational Nursing Program.
The Vocational Nursing Program is a 12-month course of study leading to a certificate in Vocational Nursing. Upon completion of this program, the student is eligible to take the NCLEX-PN, the licensure examination required by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians to practice vocational nursing.
The vocational nursing program will be accepting packets for August 2023 enrollment (fall semester) from February 5 - February 23, 2023. At the conclusion of the enrollment period, all complete applications will be screened using the multi-criteria points system and placed into the program according to highest points. Order of application by date will apply when point number is the same (ex. If two applicants have the same number of points, the applicant who applied at an earlier date will be admitted. Ten percent of those admitted for enrollment will be selected using a lottery system.
Applications will be available beginning December 1, 2023.
Students must submit the enrollment form, an official high school transcript showing graduation date or an official copy of GED results, and an educational planning and evaluation form completed by a Antelope Valley College counselor if any college courses pertaining to vocational nursing were completed, within one year prior to the date of submitting the enrollment form. Official college transcripts are required for any courses that pertain to the vocational nursing certificate, i.e., BIOL 100 (Elementary Anatomy and Physiology), PSY 101 (General Psychology) and NF 100 (Nutrition).
All students will be required to attend a mandatory student orientation, complete a background screen (including social security number verification), and physical examination, including drug and alcohol screening. Instructions will be sent to students who are offered spaces in the program.
***Applications must be received by the Health and Safety Sciences Division office no sooner than February 5, 2024 and no later than February 23, 2024. ***
1. Apply to AVC to receive a Student ID Number. If you already have a 900 number you will still want to apply to the college to make your status active.
2. Request two official copies of transcripts from college that prerequisites were completed. One official set will need to be sent to the transcripts department. One official set will need to be attached to your application. Open transcripts, copies of transcripts or electronic transcripts will not be accepted. If all your prerequisites were completed at AVC, you will still need to attach an official college transcript to your application.
3. Request official transcript from high school/GED. There is no exception to this requirement.
4. Make an appointment to meet with an AVC nursing counselor to have your transcripts evaluated. They will issue you an educational plan. Should you require a request for equivalency/substitution, please note it must be approved in order for your application to be considered. If you turn in your application and the educational plan from the counselor states one of your prerequisite courses are pending approval, the department will not accept your application. Please be aware, counseling will not make appointments two weeks from the deadline. If you wait two weeks until the deadline to try and complete this, you will not be able to see a counselor and you will not be able to turn in your application. Please do not wait until the last minute to complete this step.
5. Once steps 1 - 4 have been completed, attach your educational plan, official college transcripts, attach official transcripts showing graduation of high school or GED, fill out application for Vocational Nursing Program and turn into the Health and Safety Sciences Department during the designated application period.
6. Once you have all documents needed, you can turn in your application to the Health and Safety Sciences Office by mail:
Antelope Valley College
ATTN: Health and Safety Sciences
3041 West Avenue K
Lancaster, CA 93536