S.T.A.R. (Student Transfer Academic Retention)
S.T. A. R. Program Applications!!!
The S.T.A.R. Program is accepting applications for the spring 2023 semester until Friday, February 3, 2023.
All About STAR
The STAR (Student Transfer and Academic Retention) Program at Antelope Valley College is a federally funded TRIO Student Support Services program. Our program was started during the fall semester of 2001. It is designed to identify promising students and provide support services above and beyond what is currently being offered by the college. Over the years the STAR Program has continued to expand and provide a wider range of services to reach more students who need assistance.
The mission of the STAR Student Support Services Program is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of eligible participants, and to facilitate the process of transition from one level of higher education to the next. The program assists 170 eligible first-generation, low income, and/or students with a documented disability through the use of a variety of services to clarify their goals, succeed academically in their chosen program of study, and to graduate and/or transfer to the university level.
- STAR SSS Grant Aid
Forms and Workshops
STAR Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the STAR Program?
STAR is a Federally funded Student Support Services TRIO program. It is designed to identify promising students and provide instructional support services above and beyond what is currently being offered. The staff of the STAR program will work one-on-one with each student, to get to know them on a first-name basis and assist them with their academic and personal needs.
- Who is eligible for the STAR Student Support Services program?
Eligibility is determined by federal guidelines. You are eligible to be a part of the program if:
- neither of your parents graduated from a four-year college
- have U.S. citizenship or resident alien status
- have documented financial need, academic need, and/or a documented disability
Applicants will be selected two times per year.
- What services are provided?
- Academic, goal setting and career counseling
- Progress monitoring and personal support through regular meetings
- A limited amount of supplemental grant aid scholarships
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Priority Registration
- Four-year college visits and transfer assistance
- Study skills, supplemental instruction and tutoring
- Computer literacy and research skills
- Summer bridge program
- Academic enrichment class
- Financial Aid and scholarship application assistance
- How can I apply for the STAR Student Support Services program?
Students interested in applying for the STAR Student Support Services program must complete a program application. Email your completed application to email@example.com. You will be notified via email if you are selected to participate in the program.
If you have questions call 661.722.6300, extension 6084.